Saturday, September 20, 2008

The colours of Custard

Weekend posts are rare around here.  We normally work at weekends, so blogging takes a very back seat.  However, it just so happens that we are at home today, and I thought I would just show something that I worked on recently.  To say that I 'worked' on it is a little misleading!  It took longer to find the bits and pieces than it did to actually stitch. 
Study in Paper 1
It is just a simple colour study with paper, and I have a feeling you are all asking 'so, what's this got to do with custard?' 
The answer is - nothing!
Journal pages can be created for so many different reasons.  I don't do many, but there is always something that sparks the initial inspiration.  My poor long-suffering DH was browsing the local paper, when I caught sight of this headline over his shoulder.  I have no idea what was in the article, and it was snipped out before he could say 'Jack Robinson'.
'The colours of Custard'!  What does it say to you?  I'd be interested to know.  (For those of you that have never heard of custard HERE is some information)
Custard conjures up visions of hot delicately coloured creamy sauce for puddings, cold toppings for some trifles, cool and set under crispy caramel topping (creme caramel), baked egg custard, still warm from the oven and flavoured with freshly grated nutmeg ... etc, but always a gentle colour, the colour of egg yolks mixed with cream.....
Waaaay back in the last century (I'm not really that old, but it just seems like another life now) I worked for a solicitor.  He had many clients, but his most grateful was the owner of a Chinese Restaurant.  Their history went way back to before I was born, so I have no idea how they first met, but his way of saying 'thanks' for services rendered was to serve the entire office (it was only a small office) lunch on a Friday.  This tradition continued for many years after I left, and the other tradition that continued was the  serving of a traditional Chinese meal followed by a traditional 'English' dessert.  During the time that I worked there we ate our way through a variety of interpretations of apple crumble, spotted dick and rice pudding, all of which were served with custard.  I have never, before or since, seen custard made in a similar colour.  It was the consistency of acrylic paint, and frankly could have been squeezed from such a tube.  It was the most vivid yellow imaginable.   This is what inspired the journal pages.
Custard Blog 4
Custard Blog 3
They were just for fun. 

5 comments:

Precious Quilts said...

Custard the ultimate comfort food! Used to serve it so much more when I was a child than now although our 'kids' love it with apple and rhubarb crumble. I always visualise the colour as a strong pale yellow nearly primrose in colour not wishy washy, if that makes sense?

Lily - Tulip's Talking from the said...

I love custard! Yum...

More in our thread.

TNT2008 said...

Oh, how I miss a good custard. Somehow Mom would locate a great place that served this goody! Yuumm!

roseworksjewelry said...

LOl - that had me grinning so big!! Although, I must say, I'm not sure I've ever had custard... Just the imagery was fantastic though :p

oK, yes, I know, I AM rather silly...

Dorothy said...

I love custard too... have to have fights over who gets the skin on the top also! grin
Enjoyed you pages.
Dorothy