Monday, December 29, 2008

Sympathy not required.

I'm not looking for sympathy, but I haven't been well.  I went down with a flu bug a week before Christmas, and I'm still not well.  It has been a strange time, a little bit 'up' and quite a lot 'down', but I think that was to help me rest as much as possible.

It was ironic that this was the first time for years that our plans for the holiday were quite cut and dried.  Our cards were written and sent in plenty of time, Christmas day was to be spent with my brother and family, Boxing Day with our son and family and the Saturday with our daughter.and family.  Well, some of it happened, and some of it didn't, but none of it occurred as originally intended.  Would you like to hear the story?  If you know what's coming you can switch off now if you aren't interested.

So, I know I should have had the 'flu jab.  Unfortunately our surgery does this at a Saturday morning clinic, and we work away on Saturdays.  So it didn't get done....  When I was designated as my mother's carer I had one automatically at the same time as she had hers, now, of course, I don't qualify so it means an extra effort, I suppose it served me right!  For three and a half days I lay in bed, unable to raise my head from the pillow.  Finally I was able to sit up, and then the cough started.

Don't worry, I'm not going to go into a minute by minute, or even a day by day account, but coughing and no sneezing was the order of the day for the rest of the time.  I managed to make it to the doctor on Christmas Eve, and I'm glad I did as I had bronchitis, so antibiotics were prescribed and are still being taken.  Christmas Day, however, was spent mostly in bed and not travelling down the motorway to Swindon as had been anticipated.  Instead of turkey and the trimmings we eventually found some fish in the freezer and had fish and chips for our main meal.  It was the first time I had eaten since being poorly, probably not the healthiest of starts, but the fish was good, and I ate half a dozen chips, I never eat the batter anyway.  A change of scene was prescribed for Boxing Day, and we did visit our son, only 10 minutes down the road.  We stayed for an hour to watch our grandson open our presents, and then we came home.  It was a pleasant interlude.  On Saturday we ventured a little further, a half hour drive took us to our daughters, and we managed to stay there for three hours.  Then yesterday I seemed to have a little relapse, and spent most of the day lying down.  This is actually not something I ever choose to do lightly as I have a problem with my spine that causes it to go into spasm if I lie down for more than about 7 hours.

When I was at college I remember our lecturer (who practised at the Maudsley Clinic) telling us a tale about a lady who was very upset.  Each night she had great dreams of earth shattering import, but when she woke in the morning they had been forgotten, and the rest of the day was spent in anguish trying to remember them.  It was suggested that she began to sleep with a notebook and pen by the bed, then she could write things down in the night, and in the morning all would be clear.  This worked.  One morning she woke, knowing that she had had one of these dreams, and sure that she had scribed something.  Indeed she had.

'The pen is mightier than the banana'

It is indeed profound.  However, a pen would not be much use if all you wanted to do was make a Banoffee pie.  On this basis, though, I won't share any thoughts, profound or otherwise that I had while I was suffering.  I may on another day, but suffice it to say that I too have had the answers to all the world's problems at some point over the last few days......

11 comments:

makeyourpresentsfelt said...

Myfanwy, of please get well soon! And, yes, we have no bananas. Love, C. xxxxxxxx

Precious Quilts said...

So many have been hit by this horrible flu bug! Get well soon and don't over do it..... we miss you!!
Pat xx

Helen Suzanne said...

oh dear what a time to be bed-ridden! I'm glad I escaped lightly... this bug is really bad isn't it! You'll probably be wacked for ages so don't let it get you down if it takes a while to get on form again.

warmest wishes

ZudaGay said...

Oh Myfanwy, I pray that you are now on the mend!! Hehe...I can so relate to the profoundness that can come in the middle of the night.

marion said...

Gentle hugs for Myfanwy. Hope this won't stop you coming to stay...

storybeader said...

My husband had bronchitis too! I'm not a caregiver, but my mom and I were talking about me getting a flu shot (as they say) - I'm over 50 and I can get a free one, at the clinic, but I guess I was too lazy, or busy, and thought "I won't get sick this year!" Well, everyone around me was sick, and my defenses were down(another long story)...

Great that you got to see the kids and grandchildren!

Rose Works Jewelry said...

*HUGS*

I hope you feel better soon!

Genie said...

Get well soon, from one sufferer to another,

Kate said...

Geez-o-Pete! Do take care of yourself, mmkay? And don't feel bad about the fish and chips, after not eating for that long the important thing was to get _anything_ into you.

Fluttering Designs said...

*hugs* Get well soon!

uniquecommodities said...

Get well soon! and DAGG I wish you had written all of the answers to the worlds problems...I sure need a few! LOL