Thursday, January 22, 2009

Can you keep a secret?

Today I am on my own.  It is such a rare treat and I have only known about it for about ten days.  I will be on my own until about 10.30 tonight, and that makes it extra special.   If I get any free time it is usually only a few hours, and I have learnt from experience that those hours are usually far less than originally intended.  This time, however, I know that the end of my free time is governed by a ferry booking, so it is a little more definite.   Last night I surreptitiously made a list of all the things I want to do!

What's on the list?

Well, first and foremost some dyeing.  I'm off to start that now.  The pound has sunk a little, so that is meaning that a lot of orders are coming in from overseas.  I must start with orders and then add to my stock.  That will take a couple of hours, and it's on my list although it doesn't really qualify to be added to 'free' time!  Fortunately the next stage won't need any input from me, so while that is standing I can go on to the next task.  I then have to take care of some orders that have come in overnight.  One is going to take a while, there is a lot of matching to do, so I will have to grab a moment when the daylight is good - certainly not yet a while!  I have books to send out too, so all this means invoices and a little bit of admin so nothing gets missed out.  At some point all this will have to go to the post office, and that means a drive, so I will do a small bit of shopping at the same time. There are some phone calls to be made, answers to messages left yesterday while we were grandson-sitting, so these may well generate more orders, and need to be done early in the day.  I mustn't forget to rinse my dyeing either.  I'm not going to leave this to batch for 24 hours because I am trying to achieve a specific effect, and this needs to be rinsed as soon as the alarm goes and then hung to dry, so, as you can see, although it is 'free time' it is quite regimented to a certain extent.

However!

Eventually all of the above will be finished.  I will now have some time to myself, and this is my 'secret time'.  I haven't had any time like this since early October, so it is very precious and I want to make the most of it.  If I had a whole day I would spend it creating items for my portfolio (I'm working towards an exhibition in May) but as I will only have a limited time I'm going to do things that should have been done a while ago.  They are all small, postcards and the like.  I owe so many, and I know that most people won't believe that I haven't had time to do them - but that's the fact.  On most days my 'free time' begins at about 11pm, and that's far too late to start with the creative process if an early morning is following.  Can you keep a secret?  Today I'm going to get some of those done.  Please don't tell anyone - I want people to be suprised when they eventually receive them in the post.............

;0)

6 comments:

makeyourpresentsfelt said...

Enjoy your free time - you deserve it!

On a Whimsey said...

Enjoy your 'free' time!!! You work so hard you deserve all you can get. Oh, BTW, I won't tell a soul!

MagdaleneJewels said...

Sounds like your day of much needed "Free Time" will be quite a busy day! Although we all do need that one day just for ourselves.
Enjoy!

Gallery Juana said...

You have a busy day but it seems very rewarding. Good luck on your upcoming exhibition.

Maybe I will see you again in the 100 ideas/100 days thread.

Rose Works Jewelry said...

Whew - I'm tired just thinking about it all!

uniquecommodities said...

Hope you enjoyed your free time!