Monday, January 05, 2009

Monday Memories

It's been a while since I posted one of these, but yesterday I had a very strong sense of deja vu. Our illustrious prime minister was interviewed on a tv programme and has promised to transform the employment opportunities of thousands.

I lived most of my childhood in Woking in Surrey. This was long before the present town centre was built. It was in the days of the Atlanta Ballroom (my regret is that I only ever got to see the exterior) and the main car park was the area now occupied by most of the shopping centre. The Yorkshire Cafe was the best place to eat in the town, and it was in the days when the council turned down an application from Marks and Spencers because they didn't want to attract 'that sort' of shop! (Yes, really!). The days when Woolworths (now a name from the past) not only had polished wooden floors, but also polished wooden counters! The days of Harold Wilson.

Each Saturday I had to travel a distance of about 10 miles to my piano lesson, and this involved changing buses right in the middle of Woking. Miss Oswald was a reknowned tyrant, but an excellent tutor. I would dread going, knowing that even if I practised 24 hours a day it would still not be enough to satisfy her, but each Saturday I would go, looking forward to the journey home! Of course, there was not so much traffic on the roads, but everywhere there were roadworks. No orange and white cones, in those days, just holes in the road. Sometimes they were covered with tent like structures, sometimes open to the elements. If there was anyone working there he would probably have been wielding a pickaxe or occasionally a shovel. In retrospect they were in odd places, but at the time they struck me as just being holes in the road. Sometimes they even had occupants at night when a 'night watchman' would sit with his lamp and keep guard, although I'm not sure why.

It is one Saturday in particular that has really stuck in my mind. On my return journey I queued part way through waiting for my second bus. I was standing on Commercial Road, beside the car park. At some point during the week one of these mysterious holes had appeared just in front of the queue. There were several people in front of me and two elderly gentlemen struck up a conversation. This hole was of paramount interest to them, why was it there? Who had dug it? Would it be there next week? The conversation continued:


'Why do we need all these holes?'

'I blame it on the governement.'

'You do?'

'I think they employ one lot to dig the holes and another lot to fill them in'

So. The moral of this story is 'fear not'!

If you or a loved one have recently been made redundant you can be assured that dear gordon has your best interests at heart. Sharpen up those shovels! Brush the rust off those pickaxes! Light the lamps for a night of watching. Be ready for those holes. Wonder not from whence they came...... Just know that precedence has already been set.

11 comments:

ARTISANNE said...

Lol, you gotta laugh! Great post :0)

kim* said...

I am really bad at comprehension lol

BUT i do think the men were there to gurad anyone from falling in it...man what a good job he had!

i guess we can tie that into the story too...if not already

Pam said...

Such an enjoyable post, reading more about you and the holes. Made me smile at the conclusion!

ZudaGay said...

Hehe...I loved reading your memory!! In our town it was stone walls.

MargaretR said...

I just loved it Myfanwy. Don't you just love going down Memory Lane? All you say is quite true and is one of the best posts I've read in a long time.

Sixsisters said...

Loved the story Myfanway. Memory lane is always
a good place to go.

Jean Levert Hood said...

so nice!! I'm very, very sure that I had the same piano teacher. . ...

jstinson said...

I always enjoy your blogs...this one was no exception! Those were called WPA jobs in my childhood. They usually had 5 supervisors and 1 worker!

AltheaP said...

I wonder if that piano teacher was cloned and placed all over the world?

I've always wondered about the song line, "Now we know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall." I think I may understand now.

On the other hand, I swear ALL our taxes in this state to go roads. We may be lacking in education, but our roads are lovely.

Rose Works Jewelry said...

LOL - great post!

Tulip's Talking said...

Very enjoyable and LOL...