Saturday, January 24, 2009

Severed Landscape

It is quite easy to focus if you don't have much time. It is also easy to focus if you don't have much in the way of materials. 'Not many materials?' I hear you cry. Yes, I know I have a shop, but I can't use everything that's in it, DH wouldn't let me, apart from anything else!

Anyway, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I was able to put aside a little time for creating. I decided that in order to focus I would give myself as little choice as possible and see what happened. I also decided that I would choose fabrics that I actually didn't like very much, and use them in the best way that I could. I am not a patchworker, but I do have a few patchwork fabrics that I have acquired by various means. Sorting through them I discovered that they were all dark colours - burgundy, navy brown and dark green. I sorted them into 'collections' in their colour families and decided to go for the burgundy collection. I also limited my choice to no more than six. The above picture shows one of the items that came out of this selection. It may look as though it has more than six fabrics, but I have also used the reverse side in some places. This isn't cheating, it's adding to the variety. I have called it Severed Landscape, and to a certain extent it has a political theme. I was thinking about the new US President and his first 100 days in office. Here in the UK we know well about the 'honeymoon period' of politicians. As Obama begins his Presidency the world is faced with divisions of all kinds. I wonder how much difference there will be at the end of his 100 days...

This piece is number one in a series to mark the 100 days. Not all items will be stitched, and many of them won't be featured here. However, if you would like to join in this 'marking' there is in fact a Flickr group. There isn't even any need to worry about what you will do as there is a list of 100 projects to help. These aren't compulsory - just to help if you get 'stuck'. The above stitching isn't one of the projects. Maybe I'll see you there?

2 comments:

On a Whimsey said...

What a wonderful idea! I enjoyed looking at the examples so far. Might have to join in!!

uniquecommodities said...

thanks for sharing! I hope all is well with you!