Friday, February 06, 2009

Cyber Fibre

This is the postcard made for the Cyber Fyber Exhibition. The background is made using Vegetarian Silk. It is a lovely soft fabric which has been hand dyed then embellished (using the Embellisher) onto a firmer surface. The applied stitching is made from scraps of precious fabrics that had great sentimental value. It was hard to see them go! You can see the original here.

There is a similar one for sale in my Etsy shop. The background is slightly different, it is our special hand dyed fine viscose felt.
You can find more details and a view of the whole here. Some of the fabric scraps are vintage pieces that were given to me by my Welsh grandmother. They were saved from evening gowns and wedding dresses that she had made over the years. My earliest stitching memories are making tiny purses by hand, using the then reasonably large pieces in a similar way, but stitching by hand. The remaining scraps will remain in my box of special memories.

4 comments:

~*~Pearl~*~ said...

very pretty! I want to sew!!

makeyourpresentsfelt said...

How beautiful, and inspiring!

SuZ Stuff said...

how lovely Myfanwy~~~

thewildhare said...

Ah! Sharing those wonderful fabrics is such a generous thing to do. I am glad you have a box to keep. :)

Beautiful work!