Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Watch this space.

A couple of days ago I posted some photographs that were taken at Missenden Abbey. This morning I was searching through a box to find something I want to photograph. I knew it was in there (and it was) but I had forgotten exactly what else was there. To my surprise I came across some experimental photographs that my father had taken.

He worked for the BBC, and at times was asked to take photographs for them. I have very early pictures of several celebrities, some of whom are now in their 80's if not 90's, including Judith Chalmers and, a real name from the past, Polly Elwes (does anyone actually remember her?) I'm not so sure about the other names, although I'm sure a google search will enlighten me when I have more time. However, hidden in the box was a small album of the results of experiments, and although I don't remember the photographs I certainly remember them being taken.

The photographs are of flowers, but the significance is not in their subject but rather in the preparation for the photographic session. Instead of using filters (he had several of these) to alter the appearance these photographs were taken using crumpled sweetie cellophane. The result is a very strange rendering of a flower, but one that I just love now that I have seen it again. Of course, if you want to take photographs like this you first have to acquire your sweetie papers. That's the part that I remember......

Isn't it true that you never have the most important item that you need? Such was the case in this instance. But Dad was at work, so it fell to my Grandfather and I to go shopping for sweets. Wow, what fun! This was a very rare treat, however it wasn't quite what I had expected. We didn't just want sweets, we wanted cellophane wrapped sweets. But..... we didn't just want cellophane wrapped sweets we wanted cellophane wrapped sweets with NO WRITING! They were surprisingly difficult to find, and we had to visit many shops before we found them. I can still remember the look on the shopkeepers faces when their offering was spurned with 'Sorry, they're no good they've got writing on!'

So, why watch this space? Well, after my dabbling with coloured glass I can assure you I HAVE to have a go at this.

But first, I need some sweetie wrappers.........

5 comments:

makeyourpresentsfelt said...

I remember Polly Elwes! do I get to help you eat the sweeties?

Helen Suzanne said...

hehe this should be exiting to see! I love too that you have the memory of participation.

On a Whimsey said...

Sounds exciting, especially the sweet bit!

Gosh names from the past too!!!!

thewildhare said...

I can't wait to see the results of your experiments. What a fun memory and a great find!

Rose said...

Can't wait to see the results. What a great memory you found in your box!