Saturday, September 19, 2009

I don’t believe in air

I DON’T BELIEVE IN AIR

I don’t believe in air.
no one has ever seen it;
no one has ever felt it
between finger and thumb.
converts talk about
tasting the air
and something in the air
but there’s always another explanation;
the nearby sea, a factory’s pipes',
a pile of fresh manure.
it’s not the so-called air that smells

scientists have complete faith in this air.
they say that it upholds
and sustains our world.
take away the air, they argue,
and we’d go too.
meteorologists attribute
signs and wonders to the air;
people thrown to the ground,
trees uprooted, the landscape rearranged.

it sounds like superstition to me.
if there is air
who made it?
where does it all go?

why doesn’t it show itself
just one time for proof?

friends ask me why windows rattle
and hair goes awry
but I don’t believe in air.

I don’t believe in air
air is just another word
for something that’s not there.

Anon

3 comments:

gloria said...

That is a great poem! I wonder if there is quantum physics and all the rest of the theoretical sciences!

Rose Works Jewelry said...

That's an awesome poem!

Linda Pruitt said...

When we lived in Los Angeles, the smoggy city, my son always said that he didn't trust air that he couldn't see! :)