Thursday, October 08, 2009

National Poetry Day

Today is National Poetry Day in the UK.  Here's one of my favourites. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye, and although I don't know exactly when it was written I do know the author, and believe me, she fits into the theme of heroes and heroines.  Please feel able to leave a comment, I'd love to pass those on.

Well, Lord,
It's now four years since I first knew the sweetness of Your Presence.
You rescued me from a life that was not worth living.
A life shared with another, but full of emptiness.
No real sharing with him,,
No pleasing him,
No love from him,
No meaning to any relationship.

Then suddenly,
When desperation came,
When there was no way out except the wrong way -
There You were.
Your arms were open, and You were walking towards me.
I didn't need to hunt for You -
You found me.

"Follow Me."
Just two words. That's all you said.
You showed me how.
You opened doors.
You led me every step of the way,
And You are still leading me.

It's still hard to share with him.
I hardly ever please him.
He still doesn't show his love very often,
But You have shown me that there is meaning in all relationships.
You have given me the grace to take all hurts,
Knowing that now You suffer with me.

The grief that I feel now is not all mine.
I know that You grieve too.
My circumstances may not have changed,
Outward appearances may say that they have worsened,
But inside I am slowly being made whole.

The day that I knew You had forgiven me I was able to forgive him.
Not just for the hurts that he inflicted deliberately,
But for those of which he is unaware.
The ones that are part of his background,
The ones from which he needs that deep healing.

You are so gentle' Lord.
You alone know how fast we can go.
Our human side often makes mistakes as we try to hurry Your work along.
You have shown me that You can perform many miracles,
But the biggest of all must be to turn a life around
Without changing the circumstances.

Others condemn,
But You never do.
Others cast sideways glances and mutter under their breath,
But You just keep on loving.
Although the flesh may be weak the heart is willing;
That You alone know, and that is all that matters.

Thank you, Lord, for giving me a glimpse of heaven on earth.
Thank you, Lord, for being so close nothing else matters.
Thank you, Lord, that though I may not see You footprints
They are surely there,
And You are guiding my feet along a path
That You have especially mapped out for me.
Thank you, Lord, for making me special.

9 comments:

On a Whimsey said...

That brought a tear to my eye! Very profound and brings hope to all who read it. To those who are hurting, sad, lonely the promise of healing. For those who are 'special' a confirmation that there is a guiding hand that will always be there, no matter what.

Thanks so much for sharing!

fiona d said...

how beautiful, thanks for posting it, I'm printing it out to keep

Tulip's Talking said...

Beautifilled!

ZudaGay said...

Beautiful poem!! How nice to have a National Poetry Day!

Judi B said...

Of course, you know I'm bawling over this. It is wonderful and oh, so true! I'm sending the link to a dear friend who also knows well the changes the Lord can make. It reminds me of a twist on the old serenity prayer:
"Lord grant me the serenity to accept the person I cannot change, the courage to change the person I can, and the wisdom to know that person is ME."

Splendid Little Stars said...

She has great insight.

Anitra Cameron said...

Lovely, and loving.

MagdaleneJewels said...

Thanks for sharing something so beautiful, touching, and meaningful. I saw so much of my life in there, and no matter what direction life took me, God was always there to pick me up when I thought there was no one there to help. The love of God and my friends are what made my family survive the tough times we had in our lives. I copied the poem to share with others if you don't mind.

Judy Nolan said...

Wonderful poem about the power of faith and the power of acceptance and forgiveness!