Friday, December 11, 2009

Friday Food

When I woke this morning it was cold, damp and grey.  It was foggy, and it looked as though it was going to last all day.  It looked as though it was just the sort of day for comfort food to chase away the blues, so I thought I'd make a nice warming pan of soup.  It's one of our family favourites, and is really filling.  It can be served with chunks of crusty bread, but frankly it doesn't need it.  We call it 'Orange Soup', but that refers to the colour and I promise that there isn't an orange in sight.

This version is a sort of 'throw it in the pan and see' type of recipe.

First, prepare your lentils!  I use red lentils (they add to the colour) but you can use any lentils you like or happen to have.  I use about half a cup for 4 servings.  Let them simmer or partially cook if this is needed while you  prepare the rest of the ingredients.

You will need -
peeled sweet potatoes cut up into chunks,
peeled squash cut to the same size,
an eating apple well washed and cut into chunky slices (I leave the skin on - but that's up to you
a piece of fresh ginger about the size of your thumb up to your knuckle which I peel and slice fairly thinly

When the lentils are ready for the 'long' cooking I transfer them to my slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients along with some hot stock.  If you haven't got any stock it works just as well with water.




So, pop the lid on and wait for it to cook.  This recipe works well on the top of the stove too, but remember to turn it down to a simmer after it has all come back to the boil.

Now, how do you like your soup?  If you like it 'with bits in' you can crush it with a potato masher.  If you want it a little finer push it through a seive - the apple skin won't go through, though, and the ginger will struggle as well.  I usually whizz it with the blender, until it is smooth, with jus the odd fleck of apple skin to give it some texture.  Don't forget to taste and season at this point.

To serve I grate a little hard cheese (preferably a good cheddar) into the bottom of the serving bowl. This melts as the hot soup is poured in and creates creamy whirls within the colour.  You can also add a little chopped parsley if you have some.

So, mine is happily simmered away - and guess what?  The fog has cleared the sun has come out!  Told you it would chase away the blues!

 Yum.  There's enough for you too.




Enjoy.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Do you think I could get there by lunch time?
Hope all is well with you and wishing you a Happy Christmas if I don't speak to you before!

circleinthesand said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMM, sounds like the perfect Winter's day lunch, whether it's gloomy or sunny outside. Thank you for sharing it!! Now, what time is lunch??