Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Happy Birthday

April is the month when we celebrate three family birthdays.  In fact, all three people feature in this photograph that you have seen before



Fortuitously it is the three in the middle!  One was last week, another next week, but the one in the middle celebrates today and I would like to tell you a little story that also includes the one to her left!

It seems a long time ago that I was pregnant with my first child.  We could all move a little faster in those days, as will become apparent!  It was in the days when babies were expected to arrive when the doctor said they would arrive, and if they didn't arrive on time the medical staff would do everything in their power to induce them to do so.  This was the situation in which I was!  Due today - but nothing happening and a hospital appointment to check that all was well.  Then came the threat.  'If nothing happens by 7pm this evening you must come into hospital and we will induce you tomorrow'.  Of course, nothing happened, and later that day I was in a hospital bed.

Sometime after midnight I began to have the first pangs of labour.  They aren't easy to recognise when it's the first baby, so I walked the floor for a couple of hours before being found by a nurse.  'Telephone your husband' was the command, so I did - knowing that the chance of him waking from a deep sleep was virtually nil.  The phone rang and rang, then, to my surprise he did answer and promised to get there as soon as possible.  The hospital was about 5 miles away from where we were living, and the roads were winding and dangerous, so I made him promise to take care.  I was popped into a wheelchair and taken to the lift.  Down we went, one floor, and along a corridor.  It was fairly long, but not that long.  We turned a corner and into another corridor, finally reaching the delivery ward.  It had only taken a few minutes.  Guess what!  The new Dad to be was already there!!  It still amazes me when I think about it.  I was also curious as to how he had heard the telephone.  Worried that he would miss something he had hit upon an ingenious 'device'.  He had placed the telephone on top of an empty tin box so that it made much more noise than usual! 

Happy Birthday S

Belated Happy Birthday R

And as for J - I'll wish you a Happy Birthday when it comes!

7 comments:

circleinthesand said...

LOL, toooo cute. What a wonderful idea to make the phone louder!! He didn't wanta miss a thing!! A wonderful Happy Birthday to all three April birthdays!!

AltheaP said...

You have such lovely stories and tell them so beautifully. I reread the fig story and laughed again.

Judi B said...

Delightful story! We have clusters of birthdays in our family too -- and it's always great to be able to share those family stories during our gatherings. Makes everyone feel special, even if they are all blowing out candles at the same time.

Donna said...

Myfanwy, That is so sweet!! How precious! Wow..that is a great hubby for you, to go to so much trouble to make sure he didn't miss the call.

I love your stories too. Sadly, I got the 24 hours are up--time for a c-section with my first baby. Times have changed for the better I think.

Happy Birthday to all your family.

Julie G. said...

What a great story and surely brought a smile to my face! Your husband was very clever indeed. :)

ZudaGay said...

Happy Birthday to your April birthday loved ones. I enjoyed reading your great story. :)

MargaretR said...

A belated happy birthday from too! I always enjoy your stories :)