Monday, February 05, 2007

The Spice Challenge


This is not the easiest way to work on scrim. Scrim is a very flimsy material with an open background that easily works into holes. Triangles are easy to distort and a firmer backing would have helped. The points push through the scrim, and it would also have been easier with a different type of felt. I chose hand-dyed wool/viscose felt and this breaks up if worked too hard.
What I am trying to say is that this really was a challenge. I'm glad I did it as I learnt a lot, even though the result looks really simple.
I am teaching a dyeing course at Missenden Abbey at the end of the month. We will also be covering materials that are suitable for use with the 'embellisher' machines. If you would like more details send me an email
nuvofelt@gmail.com

4 comments:

indah said...

Por desgracia no entiendo todo lo bien que quisiera tu idioma. Bueno, no importa, he disfrutado mucho intentándolo, y más aún viendo los trabajos. Gracias.

Diane said...

It may have been challenging, but it is quite beautiful. Reminds me of a mosaaic.

Diane

Kim said...

Looked at it close up - stunning! It may be simple but the results are great.

Sara said...

i love this piece, it is so light and nice... the colours too...