Thursday, July 05, 2007

Another day, another Exhibition

I don't want you to think we have been idle since my last post. Far from it. This time of year is full of different venues. We have spent a lot of time travelling from place to place, and later today we are off to Eastleigh College for the exhibition at the annexe in Cranbury Road. Open tonight from 6pm - 8pm and again from 10am - 3pm tomorrow, pop along and see what has been going on for the last few months! The exhibitions cover embroidery, quilting, flower arranging and art. They are usually well worth seeing.

On Sunday we are off to Salisbury. St Edmunds Art Centre is the venue, for an exhibtion with Inspire Stitchers. This promises to be worth a visit too. Only open from 10am - 4pm. After that we are hot foot to the car to career off down the road towards Urchfont Manor. I've forgotten what's going on there, too much to take in this week!

The winner has been announced on the Dye a Lot blog pop over and see who has won - and then go back next week for a new little competition. I have had fun reading all the emails from everyone. A total of 72 people took part in the last draw.

I am wanting to have a little moan. It has been brought to my attention that a tutor I know vaguely has developed a list of workshops based solely on other people's work. Apparently the last episode involved a visit to an exhibition where she saw something she fancied. On arriving home she made a complete and apparently fairly exact copy. This is now being offered as a workshop. I'm interested to know what you all think. Any comments? I know that at least 2 workshops are based solely on my book - and another is based on a book by a well known textile artist. Customers have mentioned this to me and complained - I have told them to complain to the tutor in question, but I don't know if they have. I've seen the results of some of the workshops, so know that this is more than just a rumour. I'd like to know what you all think.

8 comments:

Bonnypurr said...

I think it's awful to base workshops around other peoples hard work and I think copycats like this should be exposed but where could we expose them?

Gill said...

Myfanwy, this is such a small and usually, generous, world that I'm surprised that anyone has the nerve. After all, word travels fast (as your students have proved)
Shame on that tutor for stooping so low.
You have every reason to feel miffed.

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

It is a difficulty, this one Myfanwy. In fine Art -the copyright of the work always stays with the artist, but fakers are always there. Even some of the big art Galleries have fakes hanging on their walls. It is actually a huge complement to the artist , that someone likes the work that much ...that they emulate/copy it.

Fakers cannot however make any financial reward from the work, as the copyright always belongs to the artist.

One of the problems with some of the fibre work we do.......how to prove the copyright to the artist.It is Fraud if fakers do not and make financial gain in the process as well.

Some people do not have enough of a conscience to attribute the influence of work they have seen, thereby claiming it as their own. The V & A was set up as a source/reference for artists and designers and allow you to freely take... but if you re-use or publish from their source..... then you must always attribute the work to them.Otherwise you are liable to be sued.

LOng answer...... but such a touchy subject.

Take Care

Maggie

Papoosue said...

I agree with bonnypur. It's just not fair to hijack someones idea and more or less take it as your own. I do think it's fair enough to use ideas or take inspiration from others - because we all do that all the time, and I think it's part of the creative process - but this is just wrong.

MargaretR said...

I think you are right to have a moan about this Myfanwy. I know there is such a lot that is written about every aspect of textile art and my one great worry is that I will unintentionally write something that has been written by someone else before me. I experiment a lot and hopefully never repeat exactly what someone else has done.

kay susan said...

It's just not fair for people to make money like this.

When I did my C&G we had a super tutor, who went to lots of workshops in her spare time and then shared them with us. She always gave the name of the original tutor and always had a list of workshops, publications and resources from the originator that we could obtain if we liked what she showed us.

I am afraid that if it was my work being used in this way, I would check the facts and then I would NAME AND SHAME! As Gill says, word travels fast.............

Jorja's Nanna said...

Hi, I just found you via Papoosue.
You are right to have a moan. The tutor should have asked your permission to do a workshop based on your design. In future put a notice on your work, stating that your permission must be sought if anyone is going to use it. It is stealing otherwise, you can take steps to prosecute but this is difficult to prove.
Cheers Jenny

Susan said...

I think it's stealing, and totally unimaginative.