Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A handy hint!

Sometimes working on the Embellisher with flyaway fibres is a real nuisance. They can move around and sometimes bounce right off the background. I thought I would tell you about 2 methods of dealing with this.

In both instances you need to lay the fibres where you want them to be.

1 Cover them with a piece of dress net and get meshing through the net. When you have finished you will be able to pull the net away, leaving just the fibres.

2 Work in the same way but substitute a piece of Saran Wrap (Cling Film) and you will find it just as easy.

I have used both these techniques in workshops and students have been amazed at how firmly fibres are held in place. I hope it helps you too.

3 comments:

sue b said...

Thanks for the tip! My embellisher will be here in a few hours so I'm sure that this tip will come in handy once I get it out of the box and start playing with it.

Maureen said...

All hints gratefully accepted!
It's been very difficult this week...I NEEDED to complete some journal quilts before I couls play again with my Xpression....nearly ready to start again.

Sharon Serrano Ahmed said...

I will have to try the netting, that sounds very interesting. The netting doesn't get caught?
Here is another hint, to deal with fly aways! I will spray the base with quilters' basting spray, to keep things in place. This only works when the layer of fibers isn't too thick.