Thursday, October 02, 2008

Friday Food

Chocolate Upside Down Cake


Prepare as follows:


Part 1

Mix together in a bowl:

1 tablespoon of cocoa

Scant 2 ozs (50g) chopped nuts (I use freshly chopped walnuts, but any nuts or nut mix will do)

Scant 1 oz (20g) Demerara sugar.


Part 2


Boil the kettle ready for Part 3. While it is boiling:


Heat the oven to 350 deg F (180 deg C)

Mix well together in another bowl the following ingredients:


4 ozs (125 g) soft margarine

4 ozs (125 g) sugar

2 eggs

4 ozs (125g) Self Raising (All Purpose) Flour

1 rounded tablespoon cocoa.


Part 3

Make up half a pint (0.3 L) of STRONG coffee (use approx 3 teaspoonsful if using instant) and 20g (scant 1 oz) sugar. Stir well.


Part 4 - Trust me!


Grease a 2 pint (1.5L) pudding bowl.


Add the well mixed Part 2


Sprinkle Part 1 on top.


Finally, and as quickly as possible, pour the coffee mix of Part 3 on top. Pop it into the oven before you have time to panic that you have done it wrongly and wait for 50 minutes before you are tempted to open the door.....


When it is cooked - turn it out onto a serving plate and serve hot or warm with either vanilla icecream or cream


Enjoy.

PS  For those of you that have asked about Demerara sugar there is a listing on Wikipedia, or you can read about it HERE



10 comments:

Precious Quilts said...

OOoh chocolate to early in the morning but my mouth is drooling!! I might just have to try this out this w/e!! Thanks for sharing.

Libertybelle said...

This looks delicious- are you trying to make us fat!!!

LazyTcrochet said...

Oh yes, I have a similar recipe that we call hot fudge pudding cake. What is demerara sugar?

ZudaGay said...

This is the strangest sounding recipe...I loved reading your directions!!! I wonder if you could use some sort of tea instead of coffee? And I'm with lazycrochet...I don't know what demerara sugar is either. Thank you for sharing your recipe!!!

Tulip's Talking said...

Just what I do not need to read first thing in the morning, when most could eat this for their a.m. coffee fix, or any other time of day for dessert. Because like Pinocchio’s nose, I can feel my hips expanding my etsybutt!

ZudaGay said...

Thank you so much for the sugar info!! How very interesting! I wonder if I can find any of those dark unrefined sugars in my local grocery?

Sixsisters said...

Great recipe and I am drooling already.

MagdaleneJewels said...

Can't wait to start baking this. I will surprise my boys with this chocolate cake (which won't last long) when they come home from work. And yes, I was going to ask what demeara sugar is. Sounds delicious. Thanks for the receipe!

agoodwitchtoo said...

I'd eat it for breakfast :)

marion said...

Yum...