Monday, October 13, 2008

Monday Memories - Did I tell you I love figs?

It was my brother's 21st birthday. We had all gathered at a big fancy restaurant for dinner. How fancy? Well, I was wearing a long dress and long gloves! It must have been pretty fancy, but my dress would not have disguised the fact that I was pregnant. Apart from ourselves and my brother, my parents, and two uncle and aunts were there, along with a couple of cousins. We had great fun, lots of chatter, lots of wine including champagne (I'm trying to set the scene here!). The dishes were served silently, coming and going with an effortless ease. We didn't really notice the waiters, it was a really special evening.

I have no memory of the first or main course. They must have been good, or I would have remembered them as bad. Finally the dessert menu was presented, and I chose fresh figs. Well......

It now transpired that the Maitre d' was Greek. He suddenly went into ecstasy mode.! The whole restaurant became silent and everyone looked in our direction. 'Madame! Madame! Madame, she want figs! Madame, she want fresh figs! She want FIGS! She is pregnant and she want FIGS! In my country, we know when a lady want figs when she is pregnant, she is expecting a boy. More champagne! She is expecting a boy.' He went on in this vein for some time, the whole restaurant cheered, and we did indeed get a free bottle of champagne. I duly ate my figs and went home.

Three months later I gave birth to our daughter.

13 comments:

ZudaGay said...

Hehehe.... wonderful memory!!

Sixsisters said...

Very nice story Myfanway.

agoodwitchtoo said...

Lol! Too funny! Enjoyed your story :)

Tulip's Talking said...

ROTFL...on my gosh...still LingOL!

That was fabulous...

~Lily still LingOL...

A Keeper's Jackpot said...

Hahaha. Hope you didn't imediately go out and buy all blue!

AltheaP said...

This is a great memory, Myfanwy. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Stormy Designs said...

You must not have ate enough figs :-) LOL, cute story, thanks for sharing.

Rose Works Jewelry said...

LOL - That cracks me up!

Rose said...

How funny!

Helen Suzanne said...

wonderful story M :)really enjoyed that

TNT2008 said...

LOLLLL! It took me awhile to stop laughing to be able to type. Great story. And of course it had to be a girl!

maryeb said...

What a wonderful story. You did a great job telling it!
And I love figs too :)

Sue said...

I love that story!