Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Paper Collage Tutorial, Part One

Landscape Collage 1
Several people have asked how I make my collaged landscapes.  This is the first in a small series of posts explaining the process. 
What is collage?  The dictionary defines it like this:
'An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and colour.'
I'd like to explain why I do them.  Firstly, they are fun.  Secondly they are relatively easy to do.  Lastly they are an excellent way of playing with and learning about colour.  Importantly, the lessons learnt will apply to other techniques using paint, paper, fabric etc.
The process begins with the paper.  All the papers that I use have been individually hand coloured.  I use a variety of media for this including dyes, watercolour, diluted acrylic paint, crayons and pencils.  I also use a variety of papers, typing, cartridge, various tissues, and magazine pages.  My favourite is a type of wet-strength tissue this is not one of the Tissutex family but another acid free, archival product.  It is not necessary to use this but if you would like some you can obtain it here (there is also a link in the sidebar).  I also use a variety of techniques to colour the paper, but for the purposes of the tutorial we will only use the simplest and quickest technique.  Maybe there will be an opportunity to look at another technique in the future.
You will also need a workstation, a drying area and a few tools.  This does not need to be large or complicated.  It is possible to create many effects using only a small space, and, although not ideal, I sometimes  need to work in a very cramped area.  Gather together a piece of polythene (I use a large bag), a paintbrush and a water container.  I don't use a jam jar, I use a shallow dish (the cover from a filter coffee serving is ideal), this helps to regulate the amount of water as I usually don't want to use too much.  You may also need a knife or scissors to cut or tear the paper into manageable pieces.  Gather these bits and pieces together and have them ready.  In a day or two I will post the next part, actually colouring the paper.  If you have any questions or queries leave a comment and I will try to answer them.

6 comments:

TNT2008 said...

This is very pretty. I thought I would have landscape or watercolor quilts done for the Christmas season but it looks like I might not make it.

I like how the different pieces, once together, make an outstanding 'picture'.

. said...

Very interesting, seems like a lot of work though.

I really like how this one came out, and the colors are great!

~Lily

Rose Works Jewelry said...

I doubt this is something I'll get into any time in the near future, but I'm still looking forward to reading the rest of this series! I'm always interested in how things are done :)

Precious Quilts said...

This is really exciting! A different avenue for me completely! Thanks so much for putting the work into putting this all together.
Can't wait for Part Two!
Pat

marion said...

Nice work, Myfanwy

Gunnels blog said...

You have so many blogs, so I don´t know where to answer :-)
I hope you will like your card, and I am very curios on your as well !